03 Mar Choosing A Tax Preparer – What To Look For
To find the ideal tax preparer for your situation, it is important to ask some critical questions. According to Forbes, there are five important questions ask:
- Does your tax preparer have a PTIN (Preparer Tax Identification Number)? To verify a PTIN, visit the Internal Revenue Service (IRS) online PTIN directory.
- What are your tax preparer’s credentials? Qualified preparers should be certified planners, public accountants, or enrolled agents.
- What’s you tax preparer’s experience with tax preparation? Ask your tax preparer about their experience with your specific tax situation.
- Does your tax preparer know your state and localities requirements? Each state and locality has specific filing requirements – your tax preparer must be able to handle such guidelines.
- What records and other documentation will your tax preparer need from you? Typically, your tax preparer will require you W-2, 1099, and 1098 forms – however, be sure to ask what other documents may be needed to prepare a valid return.